Monday, November 03, 2003

Lake Samiti


The most romantic place I have ever visited in my life. It was in late April that I visited this lake. Still the memories are so vivid I can write pages and pages describing this lake. In the state of Sikkim. Lake Samiti is situated in the himalayas at a height of 16,000 ft and sarrounded by snow clad peaks. Just the very sight of this lake is blissful. We trekked for nearly 3 days, a distance of almost 40 kms, and finally all that seemed fruitful. On reaching the log hut, which is around 100 metres from the lake, I just threw my backpack and went to the lake. What a blissful sight.
I could just sit by the side of the lake for hours, just looking at the pristine blue waters. Just fell in love with the place. Added to this beauty, was a lone duck in the lake. Wading through the waters, the duck was all to its own self, perhaps relishing every moment in that lake. No one to disturb him, no one to bother him, no one to be bothered about, the duck was merrily wading through the expanse of the lake.
Apart from one or two occasional yakmen, not a soul can be seen in this region. All the sound that can be heard is the gushing sound of the ever blowing winds, and the clinker of the trinkets tied to the yaks' neck. Sitting by the edge of the lake, Watching the snow clad peaks, gazing at the lone duck generating ripples as he wades through the water, feeling the cold of the winds blowing across the face, I was just lost. The lake is not very big, perhaps an average swimmer can swim across the lake without any difficulty.
I was so wonderstruck at the sight of the lake, I didnt even feel like disturbing the waters. Sometimes at the sight of an object of utmost beauty, I dont feel like even touching it, fearing that my touch might spoil the beauty of the object. The same happened with Lake Samiti also. The freezing cold further prevented me from venturing into the water.
The mouth of the lake leads to a stony path to go to Goche-La, the highest point from where Mt.KanchenZhonga can be seen from a very short distance. The photograph was taken from this path, some 500 metres away from the lake. My so called photography skills havent captured the lake in its true form. Neverthe less this photo was the best I could get, given the limitations of my skills as well as the camera. If I happen to fall in love with someone, all I would wish for is to spend sometime with her at lake Samiti.

No comments: