Monday, September 19, 2005

The superb 50 mm lens

During the 1970s and 80s a 50 mm lens was the standard lens sold with slr cameras. During the coming years, however 'cheap zooms' in the focal range of 28-80 and 28-90 replaced the 50 mm lens. The 'zoom' factor attributing the most for replacement.
However the 50 mm lens is still in the market and available for a throw away price of 75$. So what makes this lens 'superb'. The maximum aperture is 1.8 as compared to 4.0 on the cheap zooms, its wonderfully light, brutally sharp, has absolutely no or negligible flare, sufficient contrast. Whats missing in the lens is full time USM and distance scales. I dont need either of them as I shoot mostly landscapes with this lens and its always tripod mounted. So far I havent come across a single negative factor. Put a polarizer on and you can get some good pictures. These days this lens remains my standard, only to be replaced occasionally by the classic 20-35 USM zoom , hailed as the 'best buy' in any available wide angle zooms. Examples of some pictures taken with the 50 mm lens.


2 comments:

Hemant said...

Superb photographs mate ...

Arun said...

I think I am going to buy that soon.. :)