Thursday, December 18, 2003

War Heroes

I still remember the day in my X std when I was reading about the second world war and Hitler's advances towards France. At that moment, I felt that Hitler should win the war. For whatever reasons, I wanted this man to rule Europe and as I was reading through my history text book that mentioned Hitler's victory over France, I could feel my heartbeat increasing with the anticipation that Hitler wins the war.
As I said before for whatever reasons, my likes of historic leaders always was vague. I adored Hitler, Otto Van Bismarck and Lenin. Studying the atrocities committed by these war heroes, further raised my inspirational spirits. It gives me immense pleasure to read and study about these 'heroes'. 'War and violence' was my mantra in childhood. For these reasons, I never approved of the non-violent means of attaining Indian independence. Mahatma Gandhi was never a hero for me. All these thoughts just flared across when I was wathching this program 'Wars' on the history channel. This particulare episode was about Hitler's failure to capture England. I was literlly glued to the television for one hour. I was not aware of the technological advancement of the Germans. Its amazing to know that 60 years agao, Germans had mastered the technology of rocket launching with what is known as the 'A2'. This technology formed the basis for the 1969 launch of Appolo spacecraft which put Niel Armstrong on the moon. Hitler, as is known was instrumental in the German uprising after their loss in the 1918 world war. His methods were brutal and yielded faster results. For instance, in 1938, German unemployment rate was hovering around 40%. Food requirements were not met. The disgrace of losing the first world war had made Germany a matter of laughter for other nations. At that time, this man took power into his hands and transformed things within a matter of one year. In 1939, Germany was one of the most flourishing economies in the world, unemployment was down to 5% and people were generally happy. But what drove such a thriving economy to a war ? Vengeance. and thats what makes Hitler a true war hero. Vengeance against the jews. He satisfied his vengeance by slaughtering more than 3 million jews in a matter of 2-4 years. However brutal the act maybe, but it requires enormous planning and timely execution. Hitler got his vengeance, but what I feel sad about is, he lost the technologies to Americans. The creme de la creme of German scientists who designed the lethal war weapons, were offered refuge in the United States. Today most of United States' war technology should be endowed to the Germans. All this said and done, in 1940, when Germany was launching advanced lethal rockets towards London, we Indians were staging 'Satyagraha' :). Non-violence and ahimsa has made this country a 'third world' developing nation filled with corruption. Its a different matter that 25 years down the line we will be one of the leading nations, but till then the common man has to suffer in this nation. War heroes, have been instrumental in the success of their countries, be it Adolf Hitler, Winston Churchill or George Washington. Yes there are no Indians in the list, because we are still not a successful nation.

No comments: