Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Slaves at work:
I sometimes sit and think, am I living like a slave at work? there seems to be no freedom. Whatever is told to you, you have to simply do it. It is said that my company is one of the world's best places to work. Even in such a great job culture, there seems to be very little freedom. There is no authority. People just take your opinion, but you should give your opinion only when asked for. If there is something wrong happening in the system, you are not supposed to raise a voice.
I have to deviate a bit here. At every phase of life, I have invariably landed in a situation where in I have developed a hatred for the 'system'. As a child I developed a hatred for the desciplinary system, in the teens I developed a hatred for the education system, out of college - I developed a hatred for love and marriage and in the job I developed a hatred for bureaucracy. I have always believed in the principle of 'going with the flow' and 'take life as it comes' but that doesnt mean I can accept 'slavery'. If the wind is blowing in the same direction as you walk .. I will go with it and if the wind blows against you .. I will resist as much as possible. Correlating this to the above paragraph, I have developed a strong disliking or hatred to the present 'system' at work.
There is no scope for voicing your opinion. The present 'system' out here is flawed. Meaning, people do not see issues pertaining to the organization but they are more bothered about their existance. So things are looked at from a personal attitude. If a person is seen as vocal and has more scope for growth, people will only think of subduing him/her from all angles. I think its the same case in most of the organizations.
I think someone has aptly said, knowledge is power - if you are the powerhouse of knowledge , the world becomes your slave, if not you become the slave to the world.

No comments: