Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Instant Messaging

I got introduced to instant messaging sometime during 1997 0r 98. At that point of time access to internet was pricey and not everyone was into IM. So it was kind of a mellow thing. But ever since I graduated in 99 and got into work, Instant Messaging (IM) became more or less 'The medium' of communication. Even between people sitting across cubicles in the office, IM ruled. Though I was and am still a yahoo user, I got used to AOL as it was the mainstream communication medium in the company I worked for and is still by far my most widely used IM.
Being a highly talkative guy, getting hooked on to IM was pretty fast and these days I prefer IM over any other means of communication: telephones, emails, snail mails or faxes. Another mode of preferred commumication is SMS. Other than meeting anyone face to face , IM is my preferred medium of communication. As I see these are some of the advantages of IM:

1. Cost effectiveness: when it comes to communicating with people across the globe.
2. Discreet: Unless you have hooked your pc to a projector
3. Conferencing abilities : A pretty decent alternative to telephonic conference calls
4. Smileys and emoticons: Quite useful in expressing oneself.

That goes to explain, I spend almost 40- 50% of my time on IM. I even learnt to type fast and accurate.However IM comes with its disadvantages: primary one bieng the usage of short forms like 'l8r'. Also am kind of losing the 'attitude' to write. I have 2 travel diaries, one essay and numerous posts on my blog still in a 'pending' state. That bieng said, I just cant imagine a world without IM.

3 comments:

Green Grass said...

lolll pal, till date i have used Yahoo msngr only once. I prefer MSN and use only tht now.as for the sms u shud meet my bro...he does not believe in short forms!!

Anonymous said...

there was a time I was hooked to IMs ...not anymore! ...I preferred MSN to Yahoo at the time, though....these days the rare times I do log on, its Yahoo...I find the logging on in invisible mode on Yahoo quite useful :)

Unknown said...

Candy: yeah MSN's pretty cool but I prefer AOL these days.

Syl: Yeah the 'stealth' mode as I call it is a cool feature on yahoo though I dont use it at all.