Wednesday, October 05, 2005

El Salvador

A country the size of Masachussets, nestled on some active volcanic mountains ( one of which erupted recently), and which is just a 2 hour flight from Texas bedazzled me at the first sight. The capital San Salvador is so much like a typical Indian 'Malnad' town, for instance Agumbe. Incidentally because of storm winds in the Atlantic, it has been raining ever since I landed here. Well how did I happen to land here, in San Salvador ? - got to complete a project for one of our clients here. I should say I was lucky as there was no one else to take up this project.
Speaking of El Salvador, the disparity between United States and this country in spite of the close proximity is what struck me at the first sight. El Salvadorians follow United States principles like keep right traffic, 110V electric power etc, however everything is so rustic here. Its kind of nice to see empty roads with a few cars here and there, a few cycles and a few people crossing the roads carelessly.
El Salvador has been ravaged by civil wars all through its indepenednce. People have struggled for basic aminities. Only after it signed a free trade pact with the United States, the country is seeing some prosperity I guess. The coffee from this country is special because of the volcanic soil on which it grows and hence earns tremendous export revenue.
Am yet to explore the place. Given the continuous rain, the impossible work load I have and the lack of spanish knowledge, I donno how much I can roam around. Everything is so green and beautiful here. So I hope to explore a little bit as I have 2 weekends at my disposal, weather permitting. Overall, its quite exciting to be in Central America.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm glad to know you liked our contry, I work for as a computer manager in El Salvador, so whenever you come back call to give you a more datailed tour to this wonderful contry.

phone 22 50 16 03
Rigo

Arun said...

wow! :)

Green Grass said...

Everythings ab ki dua se is goin ok ya....lotsa stress exams projects....the list is never ending. Hope you have a happy Diwali :)

Unknown said...

Rigo: Senor, Thanks for visiting. I'll call you whenever I find time.

Candy: Jee Haan :), combat the stress (yoga helps). Theres not much Diwali josh here. U have a great Dusshera and a fabulous Diwali.