Friday, March 05, 2004

Inner peace

People nowadays are speaking mostly of giving up on material pleasures, searching for 'inner peace' and all that. Thousands of books have been written on this aspect and there is a whole industry that thrives on the 'inner peace' philosophy. Like many others, I was also drawn towards understanding what 'inner peace' means. To give up this material world and go in search of peace. Eventually I figured out that I dont need to go anywhere to look for peace. I dont need to give up any material wealth and I dont need to leave this 'samsara'. Its all here and its here to experience. Most of the direction to these thoughts came from Swami Vivekananda's complete works. (There are 21 volumes ) and am still reading the second volume. Some of the guidelines which he has laid out for leading a 'peaceful' life in this material world are thought provoking. Some simple things when I learnt to follow in day to day life has made me feel a lot more peaceful.

Be punctual
Be committed to your words.
Have a heart for charity. ( Atleast, do something good for the underpriviliged. Not necessarily in the monetary form).
Look at things from more than one perspective.
If you get angry, its fine, get over it soon.
Attachment is a norm, dont try to go away from it. The more you try, the more u get attached.
Dont crib about anything.

I dont have to look elsewhere.

No comments: