Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Carnatic music - A new found obsession

Ever since I was a kid, I've been obsessed with music. During childhood it was the all time great music of the 60s and 70s ( cos my dad would mostly listen to them ). During high school and college it was Pop and Rock and eventually rock dominated the scene.As I got to work, my music folder would have only old hindi songs along with Metallica and Pink Floyd mostly. Some off beat pop would fill in some gaps.
In the recent past however, I've been obsessed with carnatic classical . It all began with BalamuraliKrishnan and his 'Jagadaananda kaaraka'. This was sometime in early 2000 or late 1999 I guess. Then I gradually began listening to U Srinivas and yesudas. A couple of years back, I happened to listen to Maharajapuram Santhanam, and I was totally mesmerized. I accidentally heard his 'Raghuvamsha Sudha' in one of my friend's house and I was like wait a minute this voice cannot be so captivating. I literally hunted for that particular CD, got it and the first day I listened to the song all night continuously. My dad was shocked. Till then I would just listen to Pink Floyd or Metallica and piss him off :). Gradually I started listening to other singers but mostly stayed with Santhanam.
Couple of weeks back was in my aunt's place. A good feel about my family is that everone has got some or the other penchant for music. My aunt has passed vidwat in vocal, my mom has passed her senior in vocal, one of my uncle's is a vidwat in Mandolin etc etc. We got to sit and chat about carnatic music and she has such a magnificient collection. Name the musician and u'll find the cd. The greatest fun was to listen to a single song from all great musicians. Since I was the guest I got to choose and I wanted 'Raghuvamsha Sudha' a Patnam Subramaiam Iyer composition in kadhanakutoohala raaga. Instead of fumbling for cd's we found an easier way to listen on musicindiaonline. What a delight to hear to all maestero's playing the song one after the other.
Kunnagudi Vaidyanathan - Violin
U Srinivas - Mandolin
T R Mahalingam - Flute
Nikhil Joshi - Guitar

Here are the links to Raghuvamsha Sudha by
U Srinivas
MS Subbalakshmi

Two varying forms of the same song, same raaga and same thaala.

It is now I regret not having taken any lessons in carnatic music :) but I guess its never too late to start.

5 comments:

WeeAre said...

Try out Ksheerasaagara Shayana and Shiva Shiva Yenarada by Chembai/Yesudas

Unknown said...

weare: the songs are already on my playlist :)

Green Grass said...

i hope ur not tryin to woo nebody with tht!

Unknown said...

candy: Definitely not

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for putting up the songs on ur blog i wanted to listen to Raghuvamsha sudha was unable to find the vocal in any of the websites i know...however when i searched on Google came across your blog :)
~N